Other Housing/Shelter Programs

Energy Assistance

You may be eligible for the Pennsylvania Low-Income Energy Assistance Program. Homeowners and renters who are income eligible may apply for this program. For more information, call (814) 355-7501.

All West Penn Power customers, independent of financial need, can take advantage of energy saving programs including: rebates on energy efficient products and lighting, a basic home energy analyzer online program, and in-home energy audits at a reduced rate.

Start saving energy now...


If you are an income-eligible Centre County resident, you may be eligible for no-cost weatherization for your house. This would include weatherstripping, caulking, attic insulation, etc. Referrals for this work can be made by calling Centre County Community Action's Weatherization/Energy program at (814) 355-7501. To receive this service you must fall within the income limits established by the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development.

Rent Subsidy Programs

The Section 8 Program is a rent subsidy program administered locally by the Centre County Housing Authority. To qualify for this program, you must meet certain eligibility requirements:
  • You must be an individual 62 years of age or older, an individual who is handicapped or disabled (two or more individuals related by blood or marriage may qualify);
  • Families with children are eligible as well. Single, non-disabled or elderly adults can apply but cannot be served until all disabled, handicapped and elderly singles have been offered housing; your family income must be within established income limits.
  • Under the Section 8 Program, a portion of your monthly rent will be paid directly to the landlord by the Housing Authority. You may stay where you are currently living or you may move anywhere in Centre County as long as the unit meets housing quality standards and rent limits, and the landlord agrees to participate in the Section 8 Program.
Contact the Centre County Housing Authority for Section 8 application information (814) 355-6750.

Home Care for the Disabled and Sick

Home care services (nursing, physical therapy, hospice care and household tasks) are available to residents. Financial coverage varies, but major medical insurance programs and Medicare are usually accepted. Each agency has their own services and financial qualification system and should be contacted individually for specific information.

Important Links

For more information, email the Community Development and Housing Division or call (814) 234-7109.

Was this page helpful for you? Yes No