What else can I recycle?
View our A to Z Guide on Recycling for information on all things recycling. Below are a few of the highlights:
  • Miscellaneous plastics: Centre County Recycling and Refuse Authority has a recycling drop-off container at their office and at the Hamilton Square Shopping Center for items such as margarine and yogurt containers. Drop-off recycling information is available on their website.
  • Plastic bags and other plastic film: Many of the major retail stores and grocers provide bins for their customers to recycle plastic grocery bags and bread bags. Stores in the State College area that recycle plastic bags include: Giant, Wegman’s Food, Weis and Wal-mart.
  • Organics: Composting also known as organics recycling is available for all residential refuse accounts. The Borough will begin collecting food and yard waste at the curb to be recycled in April of 2013. You can also compost at home.
  • Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFL’s): The Centre County Recycling and Refuse Authority has a free CFL recycling program in place that accepts unbroken, compact bulbs. Just drop the bulbs off at their office located behind the mall at 253 Transfer Road, Bellefonte, PA 16823.
  • Covered devices (computers, monitors, etc.): The Centre Region Recycling and Refuse Authority has opened a permanent collection site for electronics. Check out their Electronics Recycling Guide for more details on the program.
  • Books: Soft cover books can be collected at curbside if bundled just like magazines and newspapers or at a drop-off bin labeled “mixed paper.”
  • Tires: Tires can be recycled at the Centre County Recycling & Refuse Authority for a fee of $10.00 for any tires weighing up to 280 pounds. If the weight is greater than 280 pounds, the tires are charged at $70/ton ($100/ton for commercial accounts).
  • Antifreeze: Most antifreeze contains ethylene glycol, which causes dizziness or nausea and is deadly if ingested. Most service stations and repair shops recycle antifreeze. If you replace your own anti-freeze, have a local service station recycle it. Also, you might consider purchasing non-ethylene glycol anti-freeze.
  • Lead-Acid (Automotive) Batteries: When purchasing a new battery for your vehicle, most places offer a cash discount for returning your old one. If you have an extra lead-acid battery that you need to dispose of, stores that sell car batteries will accept them back.
  • Motor Oil: Several service stations in Centre County accept used motor oil from residents. The Centre County Recycling and Refuse Authority keeps a list of motor oil recyclers available for residents who need to dispose of their used motor oil.
  • Microwaves: Residents may bring microwaves to the Transfer Station during normal operating hours and place in a location designated for Scrap Metal.
  • Brown paper bags: Recycle brown paper bags with newspaper or use to hold your compostable items for curbside recycling.
  • Household batteries: Alkaline batteries can be thrown away with you regular trash. Nickel Cadmium (Ni-Cd), Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH), Lithium Ion (Li-ion) and small sealed lead (Pb) can be recycled. Drop-off locations include Radio Shack and Wal-mart. You may also bring your old rechargeable batteries to the Centre County Recycling and Refuse Authority office.
  • Roof Shingles: The Centre County Recycling and Refuse Authority accepts post-consumer shingles at a discounted rate of $35 per ton. An acceptable load should include only shingles, nails, and tarpaper.
  • Paint: The best way to dispose of paint is to use the paint. If you cannot use the paint try giving it to someone who can: theater groups, church groups, shelters for people in need, community organization or Habitat for Humanity's ReStore (call for specification 814-353-2390).

Show All Answers

1. Can the Borough pick up electronics?
2. Am I required to recycle?
3. Who should I contact about recycling?
4. How do I obtain recycling and refuse containers?
5. What day of the week is my refuse picked up?
6. What else can I recycle?
7. Does refuse pickup change during the holidays?
8. Does State College compost?
9. What is accepted in residential organics recycling carts?
10. Why is State College Borough switching to automated collection?
11. What is automated collection?
12. Do I use my own trash bins?
13. Why must I use a Borough issued cart?
14. When and where should I place my refuse and organics carts?
15. Can I bag my organic materials?
16. Do I still have to bag my trash if it is in a cart with a lid?
17. What if I have extra trash that won’t fit in the cart?
18. What should I do when it snows?
19. Why do I have to make sure the lid is closed?
20. If I move, do I take the cart with me?
21. What if I need a larger or smaller cart?
22. Am I required to recycle organics?
23. Can I get at-door trash collection?
24. What food scraps can be recycled?
25. What happens if my cart is damaged?
26. Can I get an extra garbage cart?
27. Can I get an extra recycling bin?
28. How do I request bulk item collection?
29. What items are accepted in the green-lid organics cart?
30. What items are accepted in the black-lid garbage carts?
31. What items are not be accepted in the green-lid organics cart?
32. How should I prepare items for my green-lid organics cart?
33. How do I get my leaves collected?
34. How do I start or stop my refuse collection?
35. How can I find out more about the Borough's organics recycling program?