About Community Relations
Community Relations/Crime Prevention
The State College Police Department believes that community relations are an essential aspect of any police department. Programs and partnerships provide us with a direct link to our community. Crime prevention is one important part of the Community Relations Section.
The Community Relations and Crime Prevention (CRCP) specialist, Officer Adam Salyards, focuses on police public relations and crime prevention through a variety of programs and projects.
The CRCP officer offers health and safety/crime prevention programming to the community on a variety of topics including dangerous intruder/active shooter response, cyber bullying, scam awareness, identity theft, bicycle safety, DUI’s, dangerous drinking, stranger danger, and personal safety. The CRCP officer participates on committees for the LION Walk, nuisance housing task force, TRIAD, Centre Region Care Partnership/Communities that Care and co-chairs the F8 committee.
Our goal is to work closely with a number of local businesses, agencies, community groups, schools, and the media to actively work towards an overall safer community. We offer lectures for your community functions, along with home security surveys.
For these free services or more information, please call Officer Adam Salyards at (814) 234-7150 or contact us via email.
Community Service Representatives are available to assist the public in the Police lobby Monday thru Friday 8:00 am to 10:00 pm. Business hours are extended until midnight on Friday and Saturday for special events such as Penn State home football games and the Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts. Sunday hours of operation during the Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts are from 12:00 pm to 6:00 pm. The Police lobby receptionist window is generally closed on weekends and after 10:00 pm. To receive assistance, speak with a police officer or for emergency use, a tan wall phone is provided in the police lobby connecting you to the Centre County Emergency Communications (9-1-1) Center for your convenience.
Community Relations and Crime Prevention Activities
- Career Days
- Centre County Law Enforcement Camp Cadet
- Child Safety Seat Technician/Child Safety Seat Events
- Health and Safety Events
- Internship Program
- Media Briefings
- National Drug Take Back Initiatives
- Office of Student Conduct Liaison
- Property Report Review, Rental Suspension
- Source Investigation Project (SIP) Grant
- Station Tours
- Student Interviews
- TRIAD and Citizens Police Academy
- Accreditation Team
- Recruiting - hiring process for new officers and background checks
- CAC Safe School Committee
- OLV School Safety Committee
- Wellness Committee
- Centre County Drug Task Force
- Communities that Care/Care Partnership-Key Leaders
- Crime Prevention Association of PA
- F8 Co-Chair
- National Crime Prevention Association
- Nuisance Housing Task Force
- State Patty’s Day Coalition
- Board of Directors Community Help Center